CRAIG V. SPENCER
Department of Mathematics
Kansas State University
138 Cardwell Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506
Date of Birth: August 11, 1980
Place of Birth: Grinnell, Iowa
- Analytic Number Theory
- Arithmetic Geometry
- Arithmetic Combinatorics
- Hardy-Littlewood Circle Method
- Diophantine Equations and Inequalities
- Exponential Sums
- Compressed Sensing
- Discrepancy Theory
- Mathematics Education
- University of Michigan
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, August 2008
- Thesis: Analytic methods for Diophantine problems
- Advisors: Trevor Wooley and Donald Lewis
- M.S. in Mathematics, August 2005
- Carleton College
- B.A. in Mathematics (Summa Cum Laude, Distinction in Major), June 2003
- Director of the Center for Quantitative Education, Kansas State University, July 2013 - Present
- Associate Professor, Kansas State University, January 2013 - Present
- Assistant Professor, Kansas State University, August 2008 - January 2013
- Member, Institute for Advanced Study, September 2008 - July 2009
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, August 2008 - September 2008
- Visiting Researcher, University of Waterloo, May 2008 - August 2008
- Graduate Student Instructor and Research Assistant, University of Michigan, September 2003 - May 2008
- Program Assistant, San Antonio Prefreshman Engineering Program, June 2003 - July 2003
- Math Tutor, Grader, and Lab Assistant, Carleton College, March 2000 - June 2003
- Undergraduate Researcher, United States Government, June 2002 - August 2002
- Undergraduate Researcher, Louisiana State University, June 2001 - July 2001
Grants and Awards:
- Applications of Harmonic Analysis to Diophantine Problems and Discrepancy Theory, NSA Young Investigator Grant #H98230-14-1-0164, $40,000, June 2014 - June 2016
- The Circle Method and Diophantine Problems, NSA Young Investigator Grant #H98230-12-1-0220, $39,997, March 2012 - March 2014
- Circle Method Approaches to Arithmetic Geometry, Diophantine Inequalities, and Additive Combinatorics, NSA Young Investigator Grant #H98230-10-1-0155, $29,516, February 2010 - February 2012
- Graduate Teacher Certificate, University of Michigan, April 2008
- Rackham One-Term Dissertation Fellowship, University of Michigan, Winter 2008
- Michigan Teaching Fellow, University of Michigan, May 2007
- Mathematics Research Assistantship Fellowship, University of Michigan, Winter 2006
- NSF VIGRE Fellowship, University of Michigan, September 2003 - August 2005
- Admitted to Sigma Xi, Carleton College, January 2003
- One of Two Juniors Admitted to Phi Beta Kappa, Carleton College, May 2002
- Frank E. Stinchfield Prize (Highest Annual GPA), Carleton College, September 2002
- Phi Beta Kappa Second-Year Student Prize (Highest Annual GPA), Carleton College, September 2001
- (with T. Cochrane, R. M. S. Dissanayake, N. Donohoue [I-Center Undergraduate Scholar], M. I. M. Ishak, V. Pigno, and C. Pinner) Minimal Mahler Measure of Real Quadradic Extensions, submitted.
- (with Y.-R. Liu) A prime analogue of Roth's theorem in function fields, submitted.
- (with D. Bilyk, X. Ma, and J. Pipher) Diophantine approximations and directional discrepancy of rotated lattices, accepted by Trans. Amer. Math. Soc.
- (with T. H. Lê) Intersective polynomials and Diophantine approximation, II, accepted by Monatsh. Math.
- (with T. Cochrane and H.-S. Yang [SUMaR REU Student]) Rational linear spaces on hypersurfaces over quasi-algebraically closed fields, accepted by Rocky Mountain J. Math.
- (with T. Cochrane, D. Hart, and C. Pinner) Waring's problem for large subgroups of Zp*, Acta Arith. 163 (2014), 309-325.
- (with T. H. Lê) Intersective polynomials and Diophantine approximation, Int. Math. Res. Not. 2014 (2014), 1153-1173.
- (with R. Ji [SUMaR REU Student]) On subsets of finite Abelian groups without non-trivial solutions of x1 + x2 + ··· + xs - s xs+1=0, Notes Number Theory Discrete Math. 19 (2013), 55-59.
- (with C. J. Richardson [SUMaR REU Student]) A note on sumsets and difference sets in Z/nZ, Notes Number Theory Discrete Math. 18 (2012), 45-47.
- (with T. D. Wooley) Diophantine inequalities and quasi-algebraically closed fields, Israel J. Math. 191 (2012), 721-738.
- (with J. Bailey [I-Center Undergraduate Scholar and McNair Scholar] and M. A. Iwen) On the Design of Deterministic Matrices for Fast Recovery of Fourier Compressible Functions, SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl. 33 (2012), 263-289.
- (with D. Bilyk, X. Ma, and J. Pipher) Directional discrepancy in two dimensions, B. Lond. Math. Soc. 43 (2011), 1151-1166.
- (with T. H. Lê) Difference sets and the irreducibles in function fields, B. Lond. Math. Soc. 43 (2011), 347-358.
- (with Y.-R. Liu and X. Zhao) A generalization of Meshulam's theorem on subsets of finite abelian groups with no 3-term arithmetic progression (II), European J. Combin. 32 (2011), 258-264.
- (with Y.-R. Liu and X. Zhao) Roth's theorem on systems of linear forms in function fields, Acta Arith. 142 (2010), 377-386.
- (with Y.-R. Liu) A generalization of Roth's theorem in function fields, Int. J. Number Theory 5 (2009), 1149-1154.
- Diophantine inequalities in function fields, B. Lond. Math. Soc. 41 (2009), 341-353.
- The Manin conjecture for x0 y0 + ··· + xs ys = 0, J. Number Theory 129 (2009), 1505-1521.
- (with M. A. Iwen) A note on compressed sensing and the complexity of matrix multiplication, Inform. Process. Lett. 109 (2009), 468-471.
- (with Y.-R. Liu) A generalization of Meshulam's Theorem on subsets of finite abelian groups with no 3-term arithmetic progression, Design. Code. Cryptogr. 52 (2009), 83-91.
- Diophantine inequalities in function fields, Oberwolfach Reports 5 (2008), 731-732.
- (with M. A. Iwen) Improved bounds for a deterministic sublinear-time sparse Fourier algorithm, Proc. of Conference on Information Sciences and Systems (2008), 458-463.
- Analytic methods for Diophantine problems, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Michigan, 2008.
- Directional Discrepancy, Discrepancy Theory, ICERM, October 27, 2014
- Directional Discrepancy, Dartmouth College Mathematics Colloquium, May 17, 2012
- Diophantine inequalities in function fields, Dartmouth College Number Theory Seminar, May 17, 2012
- Additive combinatorics in function fields, Special Session on Function Fields and Their Applications, AMS Fall Eastern Section Meeting, Penn State University, October 25, 2009
- The Manin conjecture for x0 y0 + ··· + xs ys = 0, Special Session on Analytic Number Theory, AMS Fall Eastern Section Meeting, Penn State University, October 24, 2009
- Roth's theorem in function fields, Combinatorial and Additive Number Theory, City University of New York Graduate Center, May 28, 2009
- The circle method in function fields, Institute for Advanced Study/Princeton University Number Theory Seminar, May 14, 2009
- The circle method, Institute for Advanced Study Theoretical Computer Science/Discrete Mathematics Seminar, May 12, 2009
- The circle method in function fields, New York Number Theory Seminar, October 23, 2008
- The circle method in function fields, Johns Hopkins University Algebraic Geometry/Number Theory Seminar, October 21, 2008
- Quasi-algebraically closed fields, University of Waterloo Student Number Theory Seminar, July 29, 2008
- Diophantine inequalities, University of Bristol Heilbronn Seminar, March 19, 2008
- Diophantine inequalities in function fields, Analytic Number Theory, Mathematisches Forschungsinstitut Oberwolfach, March 11, 2008
- Diophantine inequalities, Kansas State University Mathematics Colloquium, January 29, 2008
- Referee for the American Mathematical Monthly, the Bulletin of the London Mathematical Society, Finite Fields and Their Applications, Graphs and Combinatorics, Involve, the Latin-American Conference on Communications, the Michigan Mathematical Journal (2), the Open Mathematics Journal, and Portugaliae Mathematica
- Ph.D. Comprehensive Examination Committee Member for Xiaomei Zhao, University of Waterloo, August 12, 2008
- Math Tutor, Neutral Zone Teen Center, January 2007 - January 2008
- Postdoctoral Advisor for Cheryl Balm, Brian Benson, and Jonathan Brown, Kansas State University
- Ph.D. Advisor for Misty Long (Co-Advised with Todd Cochrane), Kansas State University
- Ph.D. Committee Member for Ala' Jamil Alnaser, Badria Alsulmi, Charlene Atkins (Curriculum and Instruction), Dilum DeSilva, Muhammad Farooq (Physics), and Vincent Pigno, Kansas State University
- M.S. Advisor for John Abou-Rached, Kansas State University
- M.S. Committee Member for James Bailey (Operations Research), Jason Clemens, Tommy Morrison (Operations Research), and Jeffrey Pavelka (Operations Research), Kansas State University
- Undergraduate Research Advisor for James Bailey, Ran Ji, Christopher Richardson, Jonathan Stacks, and Hee-Sung Yang, Kansas State University
- Undergraduate Academic Advisor, Temporary Graduate Advisor, and Graduate Teaching Advisor for Numerous Students, Kansas State University
- Member of the Calculus Textbook Committee, the S. T. Parker Mathematical Competition Committee, the Kansas Collegiate Mathematics Competition Committee, and Three Hiring Committees, Kansas State University
- Instructor for Girls Researching Our World (GROW), Kansas State University, June 2011
- Organizer of the Student Arithmetic Seminar, University of Michigan, September
2006 - April 2008
- Student Departmental Advisor, Carleton College, May 2002 - June 2003