Manhattan Math Circle
Students of grades 2 through 12 are invited to challenge and develop their thinking and creativity skills at the workshops of Math Circle Seminar. This is an enrichment program for students with a strong interest in mathematics. The program is organized by the faculty members of the Department of Mathematics at Kansas State University. More details you can find here.
In 2013-2014 two regular levels of instruction will be offered and level three is welcome to attend K-State Math Club meetings.
- Level 1 is for the youngest audience, roughly up to grade 4. Along with solving challenging math problems, students will be offered numerous math-related hand-on activities.
- Level 2 is best for students with the knowledge base of 5th-7th grade of standard school program. The participants will learn solving methods, practice logical skills and get acquainted with deep mathematical concepts and notions.
- Level 3 is recommended for grades 7 and higher. In Fall 2013 participants of Level 3 are invited to join the meetings of
The K-State Math Club. These meetings of the KSU undergraduate students feature invited math lectures, discussions, social math activities (games and puzzles), homework help sessions, etc.
The time of these meetings will be announced separately. Interested high school students should contact Professor Dave Auckly for more information: dav "at" math.ksu.edu.
We will offer special practice sessions for challenging math tests and competitions, homework assignments and complementary recreational activities.
At the end of the academic year the best homework solvers will be awarded with certificates of excellence and prizes.
- Math Circle Seminar will commence in September, 2013 and will continue through to the end of April, 2014.
The sessions will take place on Wednesday evenings, in Cardwell Hall,
room CW 129.
- The workshop is free, however all participants must register by completing the form below. Students without registration will not be allowed to participate in the workshop. Even if a student plans to attend only one class of the session, his/her legal guardians must complete the registration. The registration is valid through the 2013-2014 academic year. The registered participants will be included in the mailing list. Through the mailing list the participants will be informed about the updates in the schedule, planned events, other available outreach programs and competitions in math and science. The registration with 2012-2013 mailing list will be valid through the end of September, 2013. After that date the information will be sent only to participants who have renewed their registration.
IMPORTANT: Students of age 12 and younger must be picked up by
parents from the site. For safety reasons no students of the
indicated age will be allowed to walk away from the classroom without
- Contacts: Natasha Rozhkovskaya. E-mail: rozhkovs AT math DOT ksu DOT edu.
Tentative Schedule Spring 2014
January 29, Wed 6:30-7:30 pm, Level 1
February 5, Wed 6:30-7:30 pm, Level 2 cancelled due to weather
February 12, Wed 6:30-7:30 pm, Level 1
February 19, Wed 6:30-7:30 pm, Level 2
February 26, Wed 6:30-7:30 pm, Level 1
March 5, Wed 6:30-7:30 pm, Level 2
PLEASE NOTE THE SHIFT OF TIME.
March 12, Wed 7:30-8:30 pm, USA Kangaroo practice, Level 1 and 2
March 19, Wed 7:30-8:30 pm, NO CLASS
March 26, Wed 7:30-8:30 pm, Level 1 Special guest lecture: Laura Givental
Math Circle, CA): Fibonacci numbers.
April 2, Wed 7:30-8:30 pm, Level 2
April 9, Wed 7:30-8:30 pm, Level 1 and 2 Special lecture on ROBOTICS by
April 16, Wed 7:30-8:30 pm, Level 1 and 2 Beach museum workshop. Awards
Schedule Fall 2013
September 25, Wed 7:30-8:30 pm, Level 1 HW1
October 9, Wed 7:30-8:30 pm, Levels 1 and 2, Beach Museum workshop HW2
October 16, Wed 7:30-8:30 pm, Level 2
October 23, Wed 7:30-8:30 pm, Level 1
October 30, Wed 7:30-8:30 pm, Level 2
PLEASE NOTE THE SHIFT OF TIME.
November 6, Wed 6:30-7:30 pm, Level 1
November 13, Wed 6:30-7:30 pm, Levels 2 and 3, AMC 8 Practice
November 20, Wed 6:30-7:30 pm, Level 1
November 27, NO CLASS THANKSGIVING
December 4, Wed 6:30-7:30 pm, Game and Puzzle day, Levels 1 and 2
Level 3 joint with KSU Math Club
All meeting are in the Cardwell Hall, Math Department Commons room CW121.
Contact: Professor Dave Auckly, dav "at" math.ksu.edu.
Dates of Math Competitions in 2013-2014
If you want to participate in competitions, please make sure to register on time.
AMC 8: Tuesday, November 19, 2013.
AMC 10/12: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 or Wednesday, February 19, 2014.
USA Kangaroo: Thursday, March 20, 2014 (Important: registration ends in Dec 2013).
Various related links